The International Scholar Initiative (IPSI) seeks candidates who have completed their most recent degree outside of Australia to conduct research at WEHI. Students are selected by IPSI based on their academic record, relevant experience, research motivation, referee reports, and a video conference interview.
The application deadline is November 11, 2022.
International countries are eligible.
Award Value: The International PhD Scholarships include a living allowance equal to the current Melbourne Research Scholarship rate. Furthermore, all PhD students receive a $2000 scholarship top-up per year from WEHI, as well as a relocation allowance, health insurance coverage, and a university tuition fee offset.
The number of awards is not specified.
Eligibility for WEHI International Scholar Initiative at University of Melbourne – Australia, 2023:
- International students must apply.
- Applicants must have a four-year undergraduate degree (with a significant research component) or a master’s degree from an international university,
- be in the final academic year of their current degree, which will be completed in the first semester of 2023.
- Applicants must be fluent in the English language.
How to Apply for WEHI International Scholar Initiative at University of Melbourne – Australia, 2023:
Prospective international students should look into individual research projects with supervisors, attend our Student Open Days, and be aware of the PhD application process for research opportunities with us.
To be eligible for the International PhD Scholar Initiative in 2022, international applicants (who are not currently or recently enrolled at an Australian university) must:
- Check that you currently meet or are on track to meet the University of Melbourne’s entry requirements for PhD candidature.
- Examine the available student project opportunities to determine your preferred research areas (applicants should contact supervisors to discuss projects).
- Fill out and submit an online application form.
For your application, you will be asked to nominate up to three research projects or WEHI supervisors. You are encouraged to contact your supervisor/s directly to discuss projects; any verbal agreement from your supervisor/s at this stage is purely informal. Include a letter of support if you have secured a project with a WEHI supervisor (optional). You must submit the following supporting documents:
- Curriculum vitae and a cover letter outlining your research interests and motivation for pursuing a PhD
- Academic transcripts (including university grading scale and, if applicable, English translation).